Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removed Filter Bag and Hose! My Setup...
I wanted to share how I have my tank set up because it's been working quite well so far.

Placement:
Inside a walk-in closet, measuring 97" by 60" (tight fit!)
-quiet
-keeps moisture and heat IN!
-my electric bill hasnt gone up more than $50 or so
-I laid down the drip mat and taped it a few inches high all along the edges to keep any leaks from getting underneath

Filtration
-I purchased the Intex 1500 Pool filter pump(although package says 1200gph or so) which i run for an hour or two after each float, usually everyday or two.
-the hoses run in through the sides under the cover

-I completely removed the original filter bag and hose. My thinking was the cloth material was a breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties
-the uv filter is still in the back corner, with the nozzle pointing upward to agitate the surface whenever no one is floating

-Spa Sponge floating on surface

Sanitation
- 80-100ppm H2O2
- I have sprayed diluted H2O2 on the interior walls once, but haven't seen a need to continue so far.

The water and the surface stays crystal clear all the time with the tank being used almost everyday.
No slime whatsoever along water line. (I was getting slime when the original filter was inside)

Anyone has variations of this? How's it working?
Im try your setup see if it helps me out. Im head to the pool shop to see if they this have this pump. I floated the other day after trying to get everything out that was floating and its pretty much impossible. So if anybody notices white in the plastic hose i would replace it right away other wise when you take your hose out you will have millions of white particles everywhere
(04-23-2015, 11:58 AM)enthdimension Wrote: ...
Filtration
-I purchased the Intex 1500 Pool filter pump(although package says 1200gph or so) which i run for an hour or two after each float, usually everyday or two.
-the hoses run in through the sides under the cover

-I completely removed the original filter bag and hose. My thinking was the cloth material was a breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties
-the uv filter is still in the back corner, with the nozzle pointing upward to agitate the surface whenever no one is floating

Good timing. I'm getting my Intex 1500GPH pump set up on my tent this weekend.  I noticed you said you ran the hoses into the tent - could you share pictures or an explanation of your setup?  I was planning on going to Home Depot and picking up some PVC to fit feed and return lines to the pump, but using the supplied hoses would definitely be easier, just can't envision how they'd stay in the water inside the tent without getting in the way big-time when floating.  Any help would be appreciated!
I have them a few inches below the water line(the intake is 6-7 inches below) and am using a few pair of very strong magnets on the outside and on the condensation flaps to keep them pinned against the sides. They stay out of the way and i didn't have to mess with any pvc.
Thanks for the update Enthdimension! It seems like a lot less hassle without the filtration bag and the secondary pump should suck up all the debris and possible nastiness. I am going to do the exact same thing with my setup as of day 1. I am setting it up this weekend or the next. How did you attach the hoses of the intex pump on the tent frame? You used tiewraps to keep the hoses attached to the frame? Does the intex have enough suction power to travel the water? So I read you put it in a very small room, how much space do you have left around the tent? Can you walk around it? I am also putting mine in a very small room. Cheers!
Hi,

I purchased the same pump but have had trouble getting it to work. When I turn it on it sounds like a blender full of rocks. Does it need to be filled with water before it can start flowing water through the filter? If so, how did you get the flow started given that the water needs to be pulled out of the tank, over the "rail" and down into the pump? Or possibly I just have broken pump...

Many thanks for anything you can suggest.

Rick
(04-30-2015, 02:41 PM)rtillotson Wrote: Hi,

I purchased the same pump but have had trouble getting it to work.  When I turn it on it sounds like a blender full of rocks.  Does it need to be filled with water before it can start flowing water through the filter?  If so, how did you get the flow started given that the water needs to be pulled out of the tank, over the "rail" and down into the pump?  Or possibly I just have broken pump...

Many thanks for anything you can suggest.

Rick

I bought the same pump. You need to remove the top of the filter casing and fill it with water before starting the pump.

I took your advise and removed the old hose and filter bag. I installed the intex pump and shocked the water with a plentiful amount of H202. I also left the UV pump agitating the surface and bought the scumbug. Before I made this change my water was cloudy with white mold and the tank had a locker room odor to it. I ran the tank like this for the past couple days and the water is remarkably clearer and the odor is all but gone. Thanks for the advise.
I still have a couple of issues though. The pump intermittently shuts off for 5 minutes about every 20 minutes of run time before starting up again. The only reason I can think of is that the pump is overheating due to the high water temperature.Also, I added about 128 ounces of 3% H202 last night and today I tested the water and it read 0%. Anyone else have this problem? How are you guys maintaining the proper PPM?
An update to my last post. It seems the filter on the Intex pump is not fine enough to clear the water. I sprayed and scrubbed all of the walls of the tent with H202 and then let the Intex and UV pump run to try and clear the water but no matter how long it ran the water was cloudy with the white mold.
However, I did find a set up that works. I cut the connection end of the old mesh bag off and then threw it in the washer with some bleach. It came out nice and white again. Then I secured the mesh bag onto the end of the Intex pump discharge line with a zip tie and secured the bag back into its original spot at the front of the tank. I also zip tied the discharge and return lines of the Intex pump to the side of the tent by punching holes in the flap that the old plastic hose used to run through. So now I have a stronger pump with two stages of filtration. I just checked it and the water is clear again.
Another lesson I learned is that I am going to need to check the H202 content daily. If it drops to zero the white mold will return.
Enthdimension, rtillotson, or Evoluxionary could you post pictures of your setup? I'm planning on doing this as well and I believe it was Robert from the old forum who had pictures of his setup but I would like to have a better idea of how I can set this up when I get my tank Smile

Also how noisy would you guys say the pump is? I am planning on having my tent in an apartment and don't want to disturb the neighbors. Thanks!
Question 
How did you guys attached the intex pump hoses inside the tent? And could the hoses fit underneath the tent cover? I noticed the intex pump hoses are quite large, so I'm wondering how to get these inside the tent while the cover is on the tent. Did you cut holes in the tent cover??